Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Next Best to Fresh Canned Peaches


I frequently shop at BJ's Warehouse for our staple products in order to cut down on cost, packaging, and fuel. I generally don't buy fresh produce because in such large quantities, it is difficult to use it all and waste is never good for the environment. I also, usually, choose not to buy canned fruit because it is full of High Fructose Corn Syrup and several unpronouncable perservatives. However, I'd like to applaud BJ's for carrying a new Del Monte product that has allowed me to buy canned fruit again. Del Monte is now making premium fruit products labeled "Orchard Select". These come in a glass container (yeah!) and contain peaches in light syrup. Although I'd prefer real juice, this isn't bad. The ingredients are as follows: peaches, water, sugar, natural flavor, citric acid, and absorbic acid and that is it! Finally, healthy prepared foods..I was elated. Today, as I munch on them at work, I notice that they are fresh tasting and almost crisp (albeit a little too sweet, but that's ok). They are the next best thing to fresh peaches you can get at the store, and frankly given the current state of off-season peaches, these are even better. Thanks Del Monte!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chronicling my adventures in proving that less is more. I'll learn to refashion/recycle clothes, prepare gourmet meals using as many natural/basic/raw ingredients as possible. I'll learn to spend less, live more, and reclaim those things that are truly valuable in my life.

Feeds

Below are feeds from websites that I find to be interesting and from a similar vein.

ReadyMade

craigslist | free stuff in baltimore