For the Avocado Cream:
3 large avocados
1/2 cup Vegenaise
Juice of 2 limes
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
• Peel and core the avocados, then mash. Place in a food processor with the other ingredients and blend until smooth.
• Adjust the seasonings with salt and lime juice.
• Place in squeeze bottles and refrigerate.
For the Skewers:
1 1/2 lbs. extra-firm tofu
2 large onions, cut into 3/4-inch dice
3 yellow peppers, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 1/2 lbs. whole cherry tomatoes
1 lb. whole crimini mushrooms
15 Mexican fiesta or bamboo skewers
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 oz. tequila (optional)
1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
3 jalapeño peppers, cut into thin slices
1 1/2 Tbsp. salt
• Thread the tofu, onions, peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms on the skewers.
• Stir together all the other ingredients and pour over the skewers to marinate for 2 hours.
• Remove from the marinade and grill for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until the vegetables are softened and browned.
• Serve with the avocado cream.
Makes 15 skewers
I only used two yellow peppers, one onion, 1 1/2 packs of tofu, and half of the tomatoes that the recipe called for and this was more than enough for the two of us. I have to confess that I did use non-vegan light mayonnaise, so my dinner wasn't officially vegan, but it was still a delicious, low-fat recipe that didn't include meat. My husband and I served our veggies and tofu over rice, topped them with the avocado cream and stirred it all together. It had a great flavor, and the texture was nice too. I'm still learning to love tofu, but this recipe was an easy to make, flavorful, and filling meal.