Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Truvia




Typically I buy my Stevia from Whole Foods and it is costly, about $7.00 for a box of packets and the liquid is similarly priced. I tend to prefer the liquid, because the powder often left a residue that collected at the bottom of my tea cup, leaving the last sip or two rather unpleasant. I was in the baking aisle at Safeway yesterday and noticed a product called Truvia. At just over $4.50 I decided to try it. I've used it several times since yesterday and found that the flavor is very similar to my Whole Foods stevia packets, and while it does cloud up on the last few sips, if I give it a quick swirl it does fully dissolve. The verdict, just as good and much less expensive; a rare occurrence. They also have an interesting article on their website stating that they have just recieved FDA approval to use Truvia Rebiana as a general purpose sweetener and that it has been found safe for consumption through conducting lots of research. I'm very glad to hear that we may be closer to finding something safer and more healthy to sweeten our food than high fructose corn-syrup that won't break the bank, but I believe that we still need to focus on eating anything sweet in moderation, even if it is calorie free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chronicling my adventures in proving that less is more. I'll learn to refashion/recycle clothes, prepare gourmet meals using as many natural/basic/raw ingredients as possible. I'll learn to spend less, live more, and reclaim those things that are truly valuable in my life.

Feeds

Below are feeds from websites that I find to be interesting and from a similar vein.

ReadyMade

craigslist | free stuff in baltimore