Thursday, February 7, 2008

No He Didn't!

Date: Feb 7, 2008 12:25 PMSubject: Recent CommentsTo: Larry.Liston.house@state.co.us
Mr. Liston:

Ordinarily I would address a Representative with more respect, but after reading your latest comments I'd like you to know that I am shocked and offended. You do not represent me or my views and I personally feel that you should apologize for this disrespectful, uneducated commentary that you have recently made. According to reports you are quoted as saying:

"In my parents' day and age, they were sent away, they were shunned, they were called what they are. There was at least a sense of shame," Liston said of unmarried teen parents. "There's no sense of shame today. Society condones it. . . . I think it's wrong. They're sluts. And I don't mean just the women. I mean the men, too."

For the record, I am a thrity-year old mother of an 11-year old daughter. That's right sir, I was a teenage parent and unmarried. In fact, I was a teenage parent who went on to graduate from high school early, and with honors. I graduated from college with a dual degree while working full-time and caring for my much loved daughter. I am currently persuing a graduate degree and would consider myself to be an upstanding, voting citizen. I remain unmarried and a mother, althogh no longer a teenager. While I can think of several choice derogatory terms to invoke after reading your comments, I will direct none of them at you; because in my day, I was taught to respect others and always my elders. However, I ask, who are you sir to impose your morality on others? Who are you to call me names and imply that what I have done is wrong? What makes you think that your ideas of morality apply to me? How dare you speak publically in this manner and just in case you feel that the answer to any of my questions gives you the right, let me just remind you that you were given the power to speak for us, not about us. You were elected to voice our views; not yours.

I hope you will keep this in mind during future discussions and that you will use more educated verbiage going forward.

Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chronicling my adventures in proving that less is more. I'll learn to refashion/recycle clothes, prepare gourmet meals using as many natural/basic/raw ingredients as possible. I'll learn to spend less, live more, and reclaim those things that are truly valuable in my life.

Feeds

Below are feeds from websites that I find to be interesting and from a similar vein.

ReadyMade

craigslist | free stuff in baltimore