Thursday, February 14, 2008

He Responds!

Thank you for your e-mail and for sharing your comments. As you may or may not know, I have apologized for the use of the derogatory term that prompted your e-mail. My comment was ill-chosen and inappropriate and I fully realize that. My true message about personal responsibility, and educating young people in regard to the responsibility of parenthood, has been overshadowed by a poor choice of one word. As a father, I want my child to get a good education, first and foremost, before undertaking the responsibility of parenthood. Adolescents may be capable of having babies, but most are ill prepared for the difficult duties ahead that come with being successful, competent parents. Unknowingly, they may relegate themselves and their children to a lifetime of poverty and hardship. This applies to young men as well. I understand that we all can make mistakes. My objection is with encouraging and perpetuating those mistakes. Though I realize you may disagree not only with my choice of wording, but also with that message, I respect your views. If anything positive has come of this incident, it is that more people have joined this debate over teen pregnancy, personal responsibility, and parental involvement.

Respectfully,
State Representative Larry Liston

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chronicling my adventures in proving that less is more. I'll learn to refashion/recycle clothes, prepare gourmet meals using as many natural/basic/raw ingredients as possible. I'll learn to spend less, live more, and reclaim those things that are truly valuable in my life.

Feeds

Below are feeds from websites that I find to be interesting and from a similar vein.

ReadyMade

craigslist | free stuff in baltimore