Sunday, January 20, 2008

Shopping!

So I've gotten some great inspiration from my recent book purchases on sewing and refashioning clothes and decided to get started. I went to the Salvation Army and dropped $100, which was a bit shocking, but I have enough clothing to keep me busy for the rest of the year to be certain. I picked my first project from Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt by Megan Nicolay and got started right away. It didn't require any sewing, so it seemed the best place to start. I learned that cutting straight lines with old scissors can be challenging, at best. The project came out well and I modeled it for my friends. Next, I tackled converting a thrift store sweater into mittens and a scarf. I will definitely need some practice sewing, but I've found the whole process to be relaxing and fulfilling. I sported my new mittens at work and everyone marveled over my craftiness. Feeling the creative juices begin to flow I went to my local thrift store and purchased a ridiculous amount of clothing that certainly will require some refashioning and I am eager to get working on some new projects. I'll begin posting each project with a before and after shot and any challenges or time savers I find along the way. In the meantime, I'm definitely going to need to stock up on sewing supplies and practice my hand-stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chronicling my adventures in proving that less is more. I'll learn to refashion/recycle clothes, prepare gourmet meals using as many natural/basic/raw ingredients as possible. I'll learn to spend less, live more, and reclaim those things that are truly valuable in my life.

Feeds

Below are feeds from websites that I find to be interesting and from a similar vein.

ReadyMade

craigslist | free stuff in baltimore