Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Mother's Cold Care Tips

My mother is a massage therapist (I am so lucky aren't I?) and owner of Sacred Space in Glen Burnie, MD. During the Christmas break I had a terrible cold that was quickly headed for sinus infection. As a gift she gave me a neti pot and some eucalyptus oil. I used my neti pot and my mother helped me heat some eucalyptus oil in a sauce pot full of water on the stove and then built me a towel "tent" so that I could inhale the vapors. I felt better almost immediately and could even feel my ears drain; it was great. Within 24 hours my cold was gone. My husband was the next unfortunate soul in the house to share my germs and he too found the same relief and healing benefits and was also better with 24 hours. So as an homage to my mother, here are her cold care tips:

1.Neti Pot

The original...since 1972. The Neti Pot naturally cleanses, refreshes, and protects the nasal passages, one of our body's first lines of defense against illness. Recommended today by doctors and pharmacists worldwide, the Neti Pot has been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic medicine to alleviate sinus and allergy problems. The Himalayan Institute introduced the Neti Pot over 35 years ago, and we currently offer a full line of high quality products to support a complete sinus cleansing system.Neti Pot instructions on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sDIbRAXlg

2. Eucalyptus

Properties of the essential oil of Eucalyptus globulus, E. radiata and others: antiviral, decongestant, expectorant, analgesic amoung others http://www.holisticonline.com/Aromatherapy/aroma_ess-oil-eucalyptus.htm

Eucalyptus is best known as a decongestant inhalation for colds and catarrh. Bactericidal and anti-viral, Eucalyptus is a very powerful bactericidal and anti-viral. A steam inhalation with Eucalyptus is an effective natural treatment for colds. It eases nasal congestion and inhibits proliferation of the cold virus. Eucalyptus used in airsprays or any form of vaporization during epidemics, will give a good measure of protection from 'flu and the infectious illnesses of childhood. A spray containing 2% essential oil of Eucalyptus is found to kill 70% of staphylococci in the air. Eucalyptus essential oil is more effective than eucalyptol, its main active ingredient, that is used pharmaceutical preparations. The effectiveness of oil of Eucalyptus appears to be due to the action of aromadendrene and phellandrenes. When these come into contact with the oxygen in the air, their chemical reaction produces ozone. Bacteria cannot live in this environment. The anti-viral action of Eucalyptus has been observed empirically frequently.

Enjoy these healthful tips which are the best thing I've found for us non-chicken soup- eating vegetarians to get rid of those winter bugs. If you still enjoy your tasty chickens, do steps 1&2, then beg mom to make you some old-fashioned homemade chicken soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chronicling my adventures in proving that less is more. I'll learn to refashion/recycle clothes, prepare gourmet meals using as many natural/basic/raw ingredients as possible. I'll learn to spend less, live more, and reclaim those things that are truly valuable in my life.

Feeds

Below are feeds from websites that I find to be interesting and from a similar vein.

ReadyMade

craigslist | free stuff in baltimore