Saturday, March 29, 2008

Container Farmer


With the cost of gas pushing up, the cost of groceries is always sure to follow. It is always more expensive to eat healthy, and as much as I love to support local farming, my salary has not been keeping pace with the rest of my necessary expenditures so I've decided to try my hand at container farming. I already have a great herb garden going in my front yard, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to dig up my ornamental grass and replace it with squash so I decided to look for a good sunny, empty space in which to lay down my roots. Fortunately, although I live in the city I happen to have a very long and wide driveway. There is plenty of unused space there and it gets all of the sun any veggie could want. So I went to Burpee's website and started checking out veggies that would be easy to grow in containers. I wanted to try out some annual herbs also, I can always transplant those into my regular herb bed once the weather warms. I bought about 100 peat pellets in which to plant my new veggie buddies and some seeds. Some seeds need to be started indoors and some should be sewn directly into the soil once the danger of frost has passed and my seeds fall about half and half into these categories. I heated up some water and got some large tupperware containers ready for my peat pellets. I labeled each container, filled the little pellets with seed, watered, and crossed my fingers. So far I have planted: Patio Princess Hybrid Tomato, Sweet Basil, Jalapeno pepper, Rosemary, Flavorburst pepper, and fairy tale hybrid eggplant seeds. I also tossed in a food moonflower seeds just because I love them. Now, to find containers.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chronicling my adventures in proving that less is more. I'll learn to refashion/recycle clothes, prepare gourmet meals using as many natural/basic/raw ingredients as possible. I'll learn to spend less, live more, and reclaim those things that are truly valuable in my life.

Feeds

Below are feeds from websites that I find to be interesting and from a similar vein.

ReadyMade

craigslist | free stuff in baltimore