Friday, March 27, 2009

Oh No! What's left?


I just read a Discovery News article about how Lobsters and Crabs feel pain...I'm so depressed. I love seafood and thought that I was being a good human being by helping the environment and living a pescatarian diet. Then I go and read this: crustaceans possess "high cognitive ability and sentience." I watched Alton Brown tell me that they had the same nervous system and intelligence as a cock roach, and who would feel bad about eating them...if they weren't so icky. I'm a good Southern Maryland girl who loves her crustaceans and can't envision a summer without some tasty Maryland crabs. I've often wondered about the little noises I hear emmanating from the pot that sounded a little like tiny, crabby screams. I shudder just thinking back on how awful the experience of being tempted with a tasty chicken leg, rammed into a crate with a bushel of your enemies trying to rip your legs off, then dusted with pepper and salt, and tossed into boiling water. I can't promise to give them totally up just yet, but I'll try to eat fewer and be quicker about their dispatch. If I find out that my chocolate can feel pain I'm giving up on all of this and going straight back to raw cow.

1 comment:

  1. You need to add a reaction field called horrified! How can I ever eat a steamed crab again? I've really worked hard at ignoring the crab issue 'cause I love them so much ... like in my tummy kind of love, not I don't want to hurt you when I steam you alive kind of love! Oh gads. Can you find something to post that negates this article please? Becky

    ReplyDelete

Chronicling my adventures in proving that less is more. I'll learn to refashion/recycle clothes, prepare gourmet meals using as many natural/basic/raw ingredients as possible. I'll learn to spend less, live more, and reclaim those things that are truly valuable in my life.

Feeds

Below are feeds from websites that I find to be interesting and from a similar vein.

ReadyMade

craigslist | free stuff in baltimore