Monday, March 2, 2009

A Blue, Green Garden?


It's seedling time again, but this year I wanted to use grow lights. However, traditional grow lights use a lot of energy that is wasted in the form of heat. Also, it's difficult to grow seedlings in a small home or apartment with these lights because of the high heat that they put out. Luckily, I stumbled across L.E.D. grow lights designed for all stages of plant growing. Blue bulbs for seedlings, red for flowering, and a cool cube of mixed red and blue for all-purpose indoor gardening. I've read a few reviews that sound promising, so I contacted EarthLED for their recommendations on the type and number of bulbs I'll need for my flats. He recommended the EarthLED GrowLED 38. He also indicated, "When the GrowLEDs are hung 3 to 12 Inches above plants each GrowLED 38 Illuminates 1-2 Square Feet of growing Area." I am going to order three bulbs so that I can be sure to illuminate all of my flats. I'll update with photos and progress as I go. If you have experience with L.E.D. grow lights; please comment!

3 comments:

  1. Do you remember when I used to start my garden flats in your bedroom because it was the only room in the house where the sun beamed through the windows. I think I even tried the big blue grow lights. It's quite a hobbie and it has to come from the heart. You probably think that if you can do it, anyone can. But I'm here to tell you that it's a passion from the haart that you have. Unless you have the passion, it won't be done. Not everyone has the passion. But, keep the inspiration flowing. Who knows, my passion for starting plants from seed may one day return. I'd love to have my soil analyzed first. Who knows what's in my Ferndale backyard. Everytime I turn the soil over I find remenants of a garage from the 1930's that was bulldozed over and parts buried beneath the backyard. There could be PCB's and who knows what other carcinogens. I miss St. Mary's County soil, but it looks like it's growing. Too many people on the planet. I think it's time some of them got off!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for reviews of these lights but can't seem to find any. Can you point me in the right direction?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few of these and have obtained some very interesting results growing peppers indoors.

    Checkout the Growcube pro at Earthled, this thing is blindingly bright - http://store.earthled.com/products/new-earthled-growled-growcube-pro

    ReplyDelete

Chronicling my adventures in proving that less is more. I'll learn to refashion/recycle clothes, prepare gourmet meals using as many natural/basic/raw ingredients as possible. I'll learn to spend less, live more, and reclaim those things that are truly valuable in my life.

Feeds

Below are feeds from websites that I find to be interesting and from a similar vein.

ReadyMade

craigslist | free stuff in baltimore