Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Gone Fishin'

After my salmonellaosis I began to eat again and moved from clear liquid, to jello-o, on to soup, fruits, veggies, fish, and then I tried to get to meat. Actually, let me preface this whole story with a brief history...I've had digestive issues for years and my doctor went as far as handing me a pamphlet on irritable bowel sydrome and told me to increase my fiber intake, but stopped short of actually diagnosing me or giving me any real help or advice. My mom purchased a book that really helped me begin to understand how food affects the way I feel, for better or worse "Eating for IBS" http://www.amazon.com/Eating-IBS-Delicious-Nutritious-Low-Residue/dp/1569246009. Eventually I learned to pay attention to what foods my body liked and made me feel good and which ones it didn't. Sometimes my body followed the book, sometimes I didn't, but I think that is to be expected with anyone. Now, fast forward again to post salmonellaosis... some food types that have always causes me issue are fats. This includes, oils, butter, fried foods, animal products, etc. My friends have even been so kind as to name my condition Elizabutt :) So, as I began to work my way back up the foodchain I thought about why I was trying to force myself to eat meat and decided that maybe that's not a good idea. I don't plan to eliminate seafood (at least not anytime soon), but I've been enjoying my new pescatarian diet and it seems to be working well for me. I feel like I have more energy and my digestive issues seem to have disappeared. I'm beginning to track my food intake so that I can keep an eye on fats, calories, and nutrition. See what I'm eating here: http://www.everydayhealth.com/profile/eflesher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chronicling my adventures in proving that less is more. I'll learn to refashion/recycle clothes, prepare gourmet meals using as many natural/basic/raw ingredients as possible. I'll learn to spend less, live more, and reclaim those things that are truly valuable in my life.

Feeds

Below are feeds from websites that I find to be interesting and from a similar vein.

ReadyMade

craigslist | free stuff in baltimore