Sunday, February 15, 2009

Mozy: Environmentally Friendly Back-up?

A few years ago my labtop power source went up and I lost everything. My pictures, my homework, my address book. I was angry. I was angry because my laptop was one month out ot the warranty date, I was angry because I couldn't afford to buy a new one so soon, I was angry because I had lost everything, but mostly i was angry because I hadn't thought to back everything up and the first thing everyone says is, "Oh did you have your data backed up?" and I, knowing better, had to lower my head and answer no. So recently, as I am working on my grad-school papers was thinking, what if I lost everything? I would back up with cd, but that's super wasteful and really inconvenient. I could buy an external hard drive, but they are expensive and I don't have dedicated office space. I work from several different computers all over our house and sometimes at work or coffee shops. This posed a unique issue in that I needed to get my work from a single source available anywhere that I had internet access. During the superbowl I noted a commercial for a company named Mozy. I actually thought that the commercial was terribly lame, but a great concept. I can store all of my data online! I can back-up my computer from anywhere? Brilliant! It turns out that you can actually get free storage space from them too. If you need more space than they offer for free (lots of photos, videos, etc), then they only charge you $4.95 a month. That seems perfectly reasonable to me and for now I don't have enough data to require the subscription service yet anyway. So, I'm beginning to use it today and I'll try to remember to post up about my experience, but its drag-n-drop and compatible with Windows and Mac so I'm pretty excited. If you'd like to try it yourself we can both get some free space if you click on the link below and sign up:

"https://mozy.com/?ref=7JZK8L
For every person that clicks on that link and starts using Mozy*, you'll both get another 256MB of free backup space. That's right, you get extra space, and so do they. That's 1GB of free space for every four people! (We have powerful computers here that can do that sort of math.) For a limited time, there is no limit on the free space you can get."

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chronicling my adventures in proving that less is more. I'll learn to refashion/recycle clothes, prepare gourmet meals using as many natural/basic/raw ingredients as possible. I'll learn to spend less, live more, and reclaim those things that are truly valuable in my life.

Feeds

Below are feeds from websites that I find to be interesting and from a similar vein.

ReadyMade

craigslist | free stuff in baltimore