Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Enjoying the fruits of this season's labor.

So this post is just a quick update, sadly no photos to add either. However, you will be happy to know that I have been busily cutting and drilling away on my self-watering vegetable garden containers; and I'm nearly done! I've also been enjoying my time out of school and used these last two weeks to get some seriously overdue spring cleaning done. I have been organizing like nobody's business, but I promise to get something interesting up for you soon. In the meantime, tonight I was able to enjoy my first harvest of the season! The mesclun mix that I am growing in a window box with organic potting soil has already grown enough to make a salad for myself, my husband, and my daughter tonight. This means that even if I never grew another salad, it will have paid for itself. Hurrah! More importantly, it was much more convenient to take my little scissors out back and cut exactly what I needed for dinner and the fresh, perfect, tasty little leaves are far superior to the mushy, bruised mess that I pay nearly $4.00 for at my local grocery store. Growing your own lettuce is super easy and well worth the small effort required to get it started. It's not too late to get your salad garden going either, so what are you waiting for; get digging!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chronicling my adventures in proving that less is more. I'll learn to refashion/recycle clothes, prepare gourmet meals using as many natural/basic/raw ingredients as possible. I'll learn to spend less, live more, and reclaim those things that are truly valuable in my life.

Feeds

Below are feeds from websites that I find to be interesting and from a similar vein.

ReadyMade

craigslist | free stuff in baltimore