Thursday, November 20, 2008

Goodwill Hunting

So, I was inspired by my own blog yesterday, because I'm just that kind of nerd. So... I rushed off to Goodwill to see what kind of cool fabrics I could use to make gift bags, etc. Well, it turns out that it doesn't even require that level of effort. First, they have tons of new stuff with tags on it for Christmas and its like 75 - 80% off. It's like an after Christmas clearance, with none of the fighting over scraps. I bought lots of cute Christmas stockings that I can put gifts in (instead of wrapping paper). It's almost like a gift in itself; just think, if we all started doing this, no one would ever have to buy wrapping paper or bags again! Save money on the wrapping that everyone tosses into the garbage (or hopefully recycling bin at a minimum) and spend it on the gift..what a novel idea!?! I then looked around and found lots of cute Christmas, and non-Christmas baskets, and finally I got an idea. I bought lots of cute mugs and plates (its cheaper than the dollar store) and decided to give the gift of baked goods and chai tea. When you don't have a lot of money to spend on friends and coworkers, I say don't buy the cheap trinkets, give them something tasty! This way I can present the baked treats on something pretty that they can keep. Who knows, maybe they'll return the favor next year! Third, I found at least 25 new books at 3 for $6.00! Wow, I'm beginning to see a theme, books, mugs and warm drinks, plates and baked goods... what a great way to give a thoughtful and environmentally-friendly gift that will warm the heart and the tummy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chronicling my adventures in proving that less is more. I'll learn to refashion/recycle clothes, prepare gourmet meals using as many natural/basic/raw ingredients as possible. I'll learn to spend less, live more, and reclaim those things that are truly valuable in my life.

Feeds

Below are feeds from websites that I find to be interesting and from a similar vein.

ReadyMade

craigslist | free stuff in baltimore